Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Oups I ate some "Shark"!

On a hot July day and after an afternoon wandering in Kadiköy Fish market. I decided to cook some fish for dinner.  To keep up with my reputation of always trying things I have no clue about, I bought some shrimps and an unknown fish called "Keller" from Mersin Coasts.

I discovered the fish is 'Squatina Squatina' (Wikipedia entry: Squatina Squatina), a relative to Shark, yummy! The texture was somehow firm and chewy with a flavor reminiscent to Lobster (or at least for me).


The menu end-up being quite simple:
  • a nice summery salad with tomatoes, greens and scallions
  • homemade fries
  • shrimps in a thick tomato- sauce generously flavored with bay leaves
  • grilled "Keller" fish with a homemade Aioli sauce

The Aioli sauce was too garlicky unfortunately. I actually used some "Ail violet de France" a very fresh and pungent garlic, with large cloves that my Mom sent me. The recipe was taken from one of my favorite culinary book collection as seen below:



Cooking halfway through:
 

1 comment:

Joy said...

Interesting....I will have to look for "keller" over in my Besiktas fish market to see if they have it. Thanks for sharing. =)