Monday, July 4, 2011

Food memories while travelling

Like many people, I have been quite often traveling, sometimes for work, sometimes on vacations, alone or with my family. 

So below is a list of the amazing, unforgettable, month-watering memories I had while traveling (you should do it as well, it's quite fun).


Here is list without any ranking per se:

- When I learned the word "tsouvlaki" in Athens and that Taverna dinner we had just before leaving Greece, back in 2000

- when I was 12 or 13, the amazing month-watering Artichokes and green peas Tajine in Morocco

- April 2001, my trip to Brazil, nibbling on Salgados (chicken , meat or cheese empenadas), drinking Asucos (exotic fruit juices) or Guarana in Rio de Janeiro streets.

- 1996 or 1997, the ammaaazzziinng grilled chicken we bought with my parents in Firenze - Italy, and ate in a small park. We literally licked our fingers

- ohhhhhh and the indescribable, 8 or 10 course and wine pairing dinner a Le Bernardin (3 stars at the Michellin). Thanks again Orhan!

- that very first bite when I am craving sushi (every time the same pleasure)

- Hungary, summer 2004, a completely and surprisingly delicious Paprika-flavored grilled chicken bought in a Budapest market

- Lebanon, summer 1999 that early dinner in a restaurant outside of Beyrouth in the garden with kebbe, lahmajun and other savory goodies

- wandering in the Bastille market in  my hometown Oran in 2008, and having Karantita that took me back into my childhood (check the Farinata entry in Wikipedia)

- The lovely vegetarians and fish mezze along with grilled fish in the Island of Cunda in Turkey (Sept 2008)

- London 1996 or 1997, that short week-end trip to London and that great Indian dinner

- Toronto and the tasty French restaurant with Işıtan way back then (pre-marriage that is), that I can't remember anything except the sensation and the memory of adoring my food

- Paris, the cheese platter my mom used to make me when I get back from New York 

- and not to forget, the most amazing capital of food (forget about finance) New York-New York, all the food discoveries I made and memories I have.  I simply can not list them all!

No comments: